|Courtship by Edmund Blair Leighton|
Courtship is a mystery word to many. What does it mean in today's society? Is there an actual method in this approach to finding a spouse? What is the purpose? I was delighted to have found a set of four courtship stories which are based on fictional characters but with biblical facts. These books are in novel form and offer an interesting look at what courtship may look like in this day and age. Whether or not you are committed to this concept, there is much to be gleaned from these practical and wholesome books.
This series is written by a conservative, Christian family and I really appreciated a peek into their thoughts on courtship. These would be a really wholesome and God-honoring read for mothers and maidens that bring some very godly concepts into light (whether or not you decide courtship is for you). Many of their writings have really challenged me in my role as a wife. There is much detailed and down to earth information in these books which gives the reader much to contemplate. I would recommend these little gems for girls 16 years and up but suggest mothers read them first for content.
Some in-depth discussion with practical examples of the following topics:
- How does courtship work?
- What is the purpose of courtship?
- What to look for in a husband according to Scripture.
- What to look for in a wife according to Scripture.
- How to prepare yourself for being a wife one day.
- Reasons for courtship verses dating.
- What young girls can work on in their lives as they wait for future spouses.
- Struggles and battles for older girls who are still in waiting for a spouse.
- The role of parents in courtship.
The titles in the series are:
From the Publisher:
"These books are written to encourage those who intend to follow a Biblically-based courtship that includes the active involvement of parents. The main characters are committed followers of Jesus Christ, and Christian family values are emphasized throughout. The reader will be encouraged to heed parental advice and to live in obedience to the Lord."