Tuesday, January 22, 2013

Victorian Scrapbook ~ January 1864


Almost 150 years ago, Godey was publishing magazines for women. Sarah Josepha Hale, "editress" had one goal in mind. It was merely to education women. She wrote "not that they may usurp the situation, or encroach on the prerogatives of man; but that each individual may lend her aid to the intellectual and moral character of those within her sphere".

She knew that women were teachers and of great influence in the home. To educate and nourish the mind of a mother was like feeding the future of mankind.

Here are some magazine "clips" from the January issue of Godey's Lady's Book. Perhaps we can still appreciate what was interesting to women many years ago?
















Simple Sleeping Net






Coming soon! Don't miss February's exciting issue!

This post may be shared with some or all of the following lovely link-ups: Modest Mom Monday'sTeach Me TuesdayDomestically Divine TuesdayRaising HomemakersWise Woman Link Up, and Deep Roots at Home. Thank you, dear ladies, for hosting these!


8 comments:

  1. How fascinating!! I loved this. Where did you find this gem of history? :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I'm glad you enjoyed this :) Old books/manuscripts can be found at archive.org

      Delete
  2. This is so fun to look at. Thank you for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hello, Really sweet and loved the pictures! I just sent my oldest grand-duaghters the book Beautiful Girlhood. It belonged to her Mom when she was a young girl. Now, I still long to be a keeper of the home and to grow in His likeness.
    Blessings, Roxy

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. How special is that! I adored reading Beautiful Girlhood to my daughter and I can't wait for the day to pass it on like you have! What a memory keepsake that is :) Thanks for sharing!

      Delete
  4. Hi, JES,
    I hope to get both of your button into the scrolling thing-y on my sidebar soon! Oh, there is so much to do and I have barely kept up in favor of family and their needs...I'm sure you can understand! I miss having a moment to visit via email. I am still alive, but very tired...feel under attack. I pray for you very often and send hugs and love in the name of the Lord! May God bless you, sweet sister :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I VERY much understand! Please accept a "warm embrace" back! :)

      Delete

DaySpring Jewelry
Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...